Monday, March 28, 2011

Comfort in Suffering

My comfort in suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.

(Psalm 119:50, NIV)

Is there comfort in suffering? Sounds oxymoron, right?

We can’t ignore the voice of our own body to slow down. The last weeks I've been so caught up with different issues that it was very hard to guard my stress level. Although my mind knew I need lots of space to slow down but circumstances didn't seem to permit. Fine, maybe I’ve failed to organize my mind and time efficiently. A whole lot of emotional entanglement was thrown into sorting out all issues. I wish I could have handle all life’s going in a better way. My gastric discomfort was the first warning. It was too mild for me to get worried over as I was nursing my back muscle tension. On the spiritual realm I was fighting battles as I stand in the gap as an intercessor. What a ground I've given away to allow the enemy to attack.

The next thing I found was a brand new condition my body was suffering. Gastric reflux. It last whole day and night. One week passed, then another, then another. It was still persistent. I couldn't eat and sleep properly. My most basic needs were deprived. Completely debilitating!

The desperation for God’s deliverance increased. I wanted to hear his voice not only in all the initial issues I presented him, but also in my present suffering. And he spoke in Psalm 119:50. The comfort is his promises. While I struggled to keep my focus in him and things above, he reminded me to remember his promises. But what are those promises? I began journalling them as I opened the bible. His assurance calmed me. These aren't just empty words.

They are words of life.
They preserve.
They heal.
They give hope when the dark cloud is hanging over.
They are light when we are walking in a long lonely dark tunnel.

I immersed myself in those promises and remember that God is a covenant keeper. Surely I must trust him with all my heart and lean not on my own understanding (Proverbs 3:5).

What are you suffering? The good news is there’s comfort. Yes. You read correctly. Comfort in suffering. Oxymoron but that's exactly what the verse states. Look up his promises. Call to remembrance what he has already spoken. Confess them. Claim them. Charge them into your spirit today!

Dear Lord, in my suffering, I remember Christ who first suffered for me. His sufferings delivered me and redeemed me. Thank you – today, I can safely walk in those promises of your victory and deliverance. Lord, lift my spirit up! Give light to my eyes, strength to my body, and a heart to store all of your promises. I regain my ground and close the door to the enemy who seek to kill and destroy. I place my trust in God, my Saviour. In Jesus’ name. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment