Monday, April 4, 2011

In His Name

May the name of the God of Jacob protect you.

(Psalm 20:1, NIV)



“Aunty Senina, Aunty Senina, Aunty Senina…” little Kael called incessantly the moment we connected. The barely 3 year old could not pronounce the “l” despite his mum corrected him a few times. Thus my name change. His chubby little finger hooked onto mine and dragged me all around to tour his house as we met for the first time. His friendliness warmed my heart as he opened up to me so quickly. Soon I was his buddy for the weekend. My name was buzzing in the air the entire time. Kael and Aunty Senina were inseparable. Aunty Senina’s name never left Kael’s lips. This name became the the name which carry much power. His mum would use the name to get him do something when he refused. The name got him going.

“Your name will be useful for a while after you leave this weekend,” chuckled his dad. “I am sure we can get him to do things by just mentioning it,” he continued. What power in that name for Kael’s little world!

A few days after my return of that short trip away I read Psalm 20. Verse 1 begins with an exhortation of God’s name. It says this name “protects”. That was comforting to me as I was still nursing my gastric reflux. No matter what happens, I can call on this name, the name above all other names to protect me. It is not just any name. It is not Aunty Senina in Kael’s little world for a weekend. This awesome name is the One who saves. The Everlasting One.

I must admit I was a bit tired of answering Kael after some time. But God never gets tired when we call his name. His name makes our enemy trembles and flees. Psalm 20:7 declares that, “some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord, our God.” It is not in the physical magnitude and massive weight that we should rely on, but our reliance is in placing our trust in his majestic name. The mention of his name guarantees our protection. I am reminded of many boys who would use their daddies’ names when they are being bullied. “I will tell my daddy!”

How about us? We can always tell our Daddy too. Just declare his name!

Let us sing his name. Let’s shout for joy unto his name. Let’s lift up the banner in the name of the Lord (Psalm 20:5). Remember David overcame Goliath in the name of the Lord!

Abba Father, Yours is the Most Beautiful Name of all. The name which is above all other names. Today I declare your power in my life, the trusted name of all generations. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment