Monday, June 29, 2009

Are You Resting?

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

(Matthew 11:28, NIV)

Rest is essential.
Rest is a must.
Rest is a luxury to some.

Last week, I was prescribed rest in bed for a few days due to sciatica pain which is a recurrence from my last pregnancy. My orthopaedic surgeon said to me, "You need to rest. I know it's hard with four kids. But that's the main thing." I asked in return, "Entire day?" He responded, "Not entire day only but few days!"

Lying down on my bed, I discovered rest is a discipline. It takes more effort to purposely get a good rest. And I mean good rest for the body - it's like fasting from work.

Rest is holy. It is ordained by God and it is a command. Man is restless. Despite the divine strong call and Jesus' invitation to rest, we are still running around attempting to accomplish so much in a day. In this busy world, we are victims of restlessness. We have to intentionally respond to His call to rest in Him.

Won't you respond to his invitation to rest?
As you can see, this is a very short post as I am stealing a wee bit of time to talk to you and then resume my rest.

Dear Heavenly Father, Tame my restless spirit and cause me to rest. I leave my cares into Your hands and trust You with all my needs. In Jesus' name I come...Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment