Monday, June 22, 2009

Laugh it out!

A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.

(
Proverbs 17:22, NIV)

After cleaning our feet, we gathered around the pool of water and dipped into the habitat of a swarming school of hungry fishes. The Garru Rufa. Oh dear, I had not expected it to be so ticklish. Instantly laughter broke out in our midst as we wriggled our toes trying to keep our feet below the surface of water for the fish to feed on the dirt. Fish spa has been popularized much these days for health purpose. In contradiction, some also fear it will be a source of spread of skin disease. Anyway, I am not giving free advertisement on it nor stating any dispute. The Arts and Science Carnival at the museum in University Science of Malaysia presented the theme, “Transformation” – featuring the development of humankind from stone age to space connection. Fish spa was amongst the stations in between the array of presentation.

We decided to give it a go since it was offered at a minimal fee compared to commercialized centres. The mental energy focused on absorbing all the educational information was given a good break in that brief experience. The children were excited – water and fish always attract them. Even my parents who tagged along for the trip were so thrilled.

Endless giggles and laughter…
Funny facial expressions…
Whole body squirming…

It was a moment of family intimacy as we shared the fun. We continued looking around the stations and booths as the children wanted to do so much more before we hit lunch time. I had another meeting to rush to following this visit to the carnival. The sun was hot and I was drenched in sweat (thanks to my active sweat glands). But somehow, a certain rush of joy and cheer filled my being the entire day. As I sang to the Lord while I drove off to the next meeting after settling my children with my parents who graciously agreed to babysit them, I thought what a therapeutic laugh I had earlier. The whole process of laughing it out while the fish nibbled on my feet brought such a sense of wellness in me.

The words of King Solomon in Proverbs are so full of wisdom. A heart which is cheerful is liken to medicine. The common saying of laughter is a good medicine makes so much sense and not to be taken lightly. Scientific findings proved that when we laughed, there’s a boost in the blood flow. A good sense of humour is a good therapy and promotes good health. Many illnesses are stress-related. Medical care these days include “laughing therapy” to help patients’ healing process.

Our society is so stressed out. Every generation is affected – from the youngest to the oldest. There’s endless worries and anxiety in life as we strive for self-actualization. In the race, many forget how to laugh. Seems the most natural thing but joy is lost in the rush.

I’ve always been a serious girl. As the eldest in the family, I grew up watching how difficult life is for my parents to earn a living. I watched the community I lived in fought for survival and striving for the best in life. Being a melancholy, I was a serious student. No nonsense girl. Self-discipline is good but I must confess I only learned to REALLY play and laugh it out in later years. From a serious little girl, I now enjoy the most silly and funny stuff my kids do and say. They make me laugh and brighten my days. Of course, they say mum is funny and silly too. I must say it has been a good lift for the soul and spirit.

Is something eating up your joy?
Is your heart troubled?
Any medical problems which are stress-related?
Perhaps you are thinking that we all have different personality. Some are more serious than others. Yes, that’s true. But we all ought to learn to laugh it out – at ourselves, and our mistakes (and learn from them).

Heavenly Father, Thank You for one of the simplest gift in life – laughter. What a wonder it does to the spirit, soul and body! When it is hard to laugh, cause my eyes to see You and Your purpose. Grant me Your joy as I live for You daily. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment