Sunday, May 10, 2009

In the Comfort of My Father’s Arms

As a mother comforts her child,
So will I comfort you…...

(Isaiah 66:13, NIV)

Finally my baby settled into dreamland. The sight of a sleeping baby in a calm state is simply speechless. All the squirming and cries eased into a lovely sort of stillness and peace…right in my arms. I can now slow down for a while before he awakes to explore again. He just turned one year-old. So much had happened in the short one year – growing from a tiny helpless babe to an inquisitive little creature engaging in endless explorations and discoveries.

Gratitude filled my heart as I reflected on the past year. On the table, a photo of another baby with a big smile brought a flood of memories of more than a decade ago. They look so alike though of the opposite sex. She was my firstborn. People say to me, “It must be easy for you. It’s your fourth round now.” Is motherhood ever easy? I wonder.

In a world of significance equals success, where does this vocation fit into the picture? Yet no one can deny that “the hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world” – an extract from the 1800s poem by William Ross Wallace. Wallace recognized the preeminent force in the maternal contribution throughout the generations. And we all know with power comes responsibility. I will never forget the very first time I held my firstborn. Tears flowed. I was struck with ambivalence – unspeakable joy mingled with an overwhelming anxiety. Suddenly I was thrust with an enormous responsibility – a life! So fragile yet so full of potentials.

Amongst many things, the years of mothering are spent comforting the child in one way or another. Right from birth, the infant is comforted in the arms of the mother – being nursed and soothed. Then there are the pains and challenges of growing up as the years go by. How many times we run back to mama’s arms when things don’t go right? Somehow, we find consolation in her. Mother is the icon of comfort.

The female gender is born with the maternal instinct. Irrespective of age and married status, we are gifted to nurture. I watched my own daughters grow. From a tiny tot to preteens now, they naturally have this nurturing behaviour in their play as well as their relationship in the family. So don’t take lightly this inborn trait nor underestimate the power to nurture – whether your own children or spiritual children.

I always believe God extends extra portion of grace to mothers. In the course of nurturing, we are constantly drained from every aspect. We have to receive in order to give…and there’s where Isaiah 66:13 comforts me whenever I feel my energy sapping. Personally, in this season, I am always shifting gears – caring for a baby’s physical needs, to a kindergartener’s inquisitiveness, and to preteens’ emotional development. By nightfall, my tank is empty. In the mentioned verse, the picture of God is painted as a “mother” to his people. That image gives us the feel of gentleness and loving comfort. We have to learn to run into His arms and be rested there. God is the Ultimate Comforter and He fills us afresh the moment we are rested in His arms. Present our burdens, cares and worries. Express our joy and pain. Hear His heartbeat as we rest upon Him.

Today is Mother’s Day. As we reflect on our own role, let us remember to give thanks for the honour to have the power to nurture and be a source of comfort. Perhaps you are thinking of your relationship with your own mum – whether good or bad, give thanks too! There are always the open arms of our Father whenever you need a place of comfort. Don’t stop running into His arms of love because He promises, “…so will I comfort you…”

Loving Father, how good it is to know You are always present in time of need. Thank You for Your open arms. I will run to you - always. Receive me and refresh me. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. It's good to know that Daddy God is still there when one can't run to 'mommy'. Mother's Day is a tough day for those who can't celebrate with their moms for whatever reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup...it hurts not to have mummy around for whatever reason but definitely liberating knowing God the Father is!

    ReplyDelete