Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Song from Heaven

He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing.

(Zephaniah 3:17, NIV)

The gentle whispers of the wind gradually turned into pitter patter of the rain. The soothing sound of the rattling rain water broke the silence of the morning. Within a short moment an outpour of rain created such an upbeat of music. My children and I rushed out to our porch and watched the unfolding drama from heaven. Our eyes switched from one point to another as we followed the trail of rainwater from every possible angle. The various sound effects of the rain water as it hit different materials on earth awaken our visual and auditory senses in the sleepy morning. Baby Ashton really loves the sight of rain. Every time it rains, he gets excited and we will take him to the window to watch the rainfall. Other times, we would get him out and let him touch the cool water as it trickled down the porch. He would smile and giggled. We were simply enjoying the nature’s song. My girls couldn’t stand still. Their body began to sway and move to the heavenly music. They jumped in joy and excitement as they wore their raincoat and danced with the umbrella under the pouring rain. Talk about dancing with joy in the presence of God…here we were caught in such a wondrous time. What a delightful sight! What a melody! A perfect symphony.

A sense of joy and vibrancy flooded my tired spirit as I listened to the most powerful music – the rhythm of the falling rain. God spoke right into my inner man as the song of heaven rained down. Nothing beats God’s song – not any in our world of great music.

I used to love to sing to the song, Listen to the Rhythm of the Falling Rain by the Cascades, popularized in the 1960s. Not that I am that old but I was enjoying songs my parents listened to then. I sang because I love the music but the lyrics were just the desperate cries of some hopeless guy:

Listen to the rhythm of the falling rain,
Telling me just what a fool I've been.
I wish that it would go and let me cry in vain,
And let me be alone again…

Rain, please tell me, now does that seem fair
For her to steal my heart away when she don't care
I can't love another, when my heart's somewhere far away.

Generally, people see rain in a gloomy mood and associate it with sad situation. In this 60s hit, rain is called as judge in this sad song. As he listened to the rhythm of the rain, he bathed himself in hopelessness and calling out to the rain, the created element - for justice. Love songs yield to most girls and women. We all sing love songs one time or another. The rhythm of the falling rain is a love song especially sent from heaven from the Lover of our soul. As I listened, I hear his refreshing love notes playing, his power resounding. A certain peace and calmness rested on me as God showered his love passionately. Zephaniah 3:17 has been one of the many meaningful verses to me. In many moments of distress it comforted me, knowing that God delighted in me and actually sang over me. As a mum, I find it easy to identify to the picture of being cuddled and rejoiced over with singing – just like what I do with all my distressed babies. My singing would soothe them and calm them down. Yet this time I saw from a different light from the same scripture verse. The song was not mellowed. In fact, so upbeat to cause such merry dancing. What a glorious heavenly song!

The next time it rains, listen for His voice of love and let your worries and cares be washed away. Or simply be thrilled by the wonder of His amazing love and His shouts of joy over you.

Oh Maker of Heaven and Earth, what a great feeling to know You love me so much. Thank You for taking such delight in me and calming me with Your songs of love. Indeed, I am blessed to be able to experience You in the most natural way. Open all my senses to know and encounter You daily in Your powerful manifestations through nature. I say thanks again!! I am learning to listen to You in the rhythm of daily life. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

5 comments:

  1. Yes i do love the rain.Only somtimes i don't when i can't get to do what i want, when it's outdoor stuff.

    It's so amzing how God created Rain!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really like rain. It makes me feel gloomy!! Yesterday it rained, and as I was about to complain to God about how gloomy it makes me feel...the Lord reminded me about this post =) and hence, I decided to just enjoy the music that He makes!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the rain! :> We are taught that rain is symbolic of God pouring out His heavenly blessings, and I always remember that when I hear the rain - the heavier it is, the more blessings are being poured out on M'sia!

    If you love music, Selina, come visit us at TOD someday :> Yes, with the children too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree to your point.
    However, to many, we still dread when the rain comes because the day's activities are hindered or slowed down. So many times people dread it and fret over it. But I am one who loves it unless I have to go on motorbike and attempted to stay dry for work. That's years ago :)

    Will visit you in TOD when time permits!

    ReplyDelete