Thursday, May 28, 2009

So that God Be Glorified

As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"
3"Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life."

(John 9:1-3, NIV)

Dinner was good. We ate at a local famous western food corner. As we walked to get our van, a lame man followed us all the way. His body looked distorted in every way and his face was somewhat scary looking. We were cautious though I didn’t think he would be harmful. Yet I had to be careful just in case anything unforeseen took place. We quickly climbed into our van. The man stood right in front of the front screen and looked in with a strange expression, head crooked and an awkward gesture. I must confess it was a little uncomfortable although we tried to be as natural. He was probably in his thirties or forties. As much as we sympathized with him, we were helpless. I could not help but wonder about a lot of things…which turned into a deep discussion with God.

What happened to him? Was he born such? Who is taking care of him?

Why would God create such being in the first place? Why?? Of course, my instant inner response was - God is sovereign. But then again, I faced a battle of my own mind as I questioned God. My maternal instinct reached into the heart of this man’s mum. It must had been a difficult journey to have and raised him…to see his sufferings and fear for his survival. A series of emotions must have overwhelmed her. It must be painful. How about this man? No matter how ugly he looked and dysfunctional he seems to be, yet he is still a person with human needs. He is still a child of God.

It’s really hard to imagine why God would do this. I am sure He can do a better job in creating. Did He make a mistake and couldn’t undo it? Or maybe it was not congenital? But still God must have allowed this? To look at the man and think that “this is God’s beautiful creation” certainly is a challenge. I know these are silly thoughts about God and all my questions may seem valid in human terms but they don’t change the fact – God is sovereign and He is good. His sovereignty and goodness are far too deep for my limited human mind to comprehend.

I believe this man was “fearfully and wonderfully made” (Psalm 139:14) and his physiological imperfection is an opportunity to display God’s grace. The words of Jesus reminded me that ultimately God uses all circumstances to glorify Himself. I can only rest in His sovereignty and trust that any form of suffering in life provides a platform for God to manifest his grace and compassion. A man of such disability who knows God may well display the strength and beauty like no other normal person can. The effects of God’s power are magnified through such man when he is surrendered to God. However, if he doesn’t know God, it is an opportunity for him to embrace God’s love. That can be another powerful testimony of God’s salvation and love; and can cause ripple effects.

I may not have all my answers as I thought of the man but I know God cares for him. I do not know him even as I prayed for him this week but my Father knows his name.

Perhaps as we look at ourselves or the circumstances we are in, we see imperfections and sufferings too. Instead of fretting in discontentment or throwing our fists at God, or blaming ourselves and sitting under guilt pile…let us turn our eyes upon the Lord and hear his words ring right into our hearts - "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in [your] life.”

To God be the Glory!

Heavenly Father, You are sovereign and good. Look upon me with favour and love. Enable me to see traces of Your work in my life and empower me to bring glory to Your name. May my life be a display of Your grace and glory. When I see any imperfect person, help me see him as you do. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. One of my Chinese pastor's sons is autistic and deaf, and there were words spoken over his life that others would be blessed thru his life. And indeed, we have had fund-raisers etc. to bless the organization that is teaching him, and his mom has a special place in her heart for parents of disabled children and reaches out to them.

    It is nice to see people who are disabled or disfigured embraced by the body of Christ - it shows how beautiful God really meant this great big family to be - where you love me and I love you no matter how we look.

    ReplyDelete