Monday, February 28, 2011

Every Life Counts

Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart;

Jeremiah 1:5, NIV

The door of the clinic opened again. The young woman with her entire family – I assumed the young man is the husband, the older woman her mum and another woman with a child is her sister as they happily exchanged conversation with excitement. She was 5 weeks’ pregnant. I sat quietly and shared her joy as I was reminded of my own experiences.

Another young lady who was chattering loudly the entire waiting time with her friend was called in. She was very pretty and doubled with her loud voice inevitably caught my attention. As soon as she had gone in, the nurse called me to get ready as my turn was next. I moved to the seat right by the entrance to the room – the seat for the upcoming patient. Every time I sat in this clinic, my heart would be filled with such gratitude for four child births that God had seen me through. Today I sat here, waiting for my annual health check (I am not pregnant, in case you are wondering :). Every child’s birth had been significant milestone in our family and spiritual journey. Each has brought such unspeakable joy into our lives.

As my eyes scanned through the waiting room and caught sight of different expressions, I saw in this crowd of people - we were all so similar yet so different. We are women. Some young while others’ wrinkles had carved their character. Some seemed serene while others seemed anxious.

The door opened again. I overheard the doctor announced, “You are pregnant.” The door closed again. Shortly, it opened again and I overheard the patient’s indication of not wanting the child. My heart sank. The door closed again for a long while. I prayed silently.

The young pretty lady walked out. This time her face downcast. She was totally different from when she was waiting. Her jovial self was gone. Her face cringed. I looked at her with deep pain. Obviously, I do not know her nor her actual situation. Otherwise, I would throw my arms around her. I shot another quick prayer for her and went in. The rest of the day and week, I asked God to protect her and guide her to do the right thing. Every mistake must be redeemed. It must not be followed by another mistake. She may have her struggles but that little innocent life in her womb has a destiny, for God knows and set apart every child before conception and birth.

I know of someone who braved through her situation when the man she loved left her when she was pregnant. She delivered a sweet little girl and didn’t want to make another mistake. She repented and redeemed her joy in the Lover of her soul. No birth is an accident. You and I were carefully planned and purposed for his glory. You may not be in that lady's position. Or, you may be the subject of the rejection. Know that God knows you right from the beginning and his eyes have never left you. Experience his love as he sets apart - you, his child for a great purpose.

Join me in prayer to save an unborn child and pray for that young lady that she may meet Jesus if she hasn’t known him yet.

Father, it is so good to know you set me apart and has a plan for me. I pray also for this lady I chanced upon and asked that you will hear her cry. Deliver her from darkness and lead her to your Light and cause her to make the right decision. Protect the unborn child. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

1 comment: