Monday, January 19, 2009

He Gives Good Things

Fear the Lord, you his saints,
for those who fear him lack nothing.
The lions may grow weak and hungry,
but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.

Psalm 34:9-10



My daughters came home after their ballet lesson one day telling me that their teacher said it was time to get new leotards. I had thought they needed a change too looking at their faded and overstretchced pieces. The garments had lost their elasticity. I was hoping their use could be prolong as much as possible since these are not cheap goods. I promised to look into the matter. I contacted the "angel" who had been sending us used toe shoes over the time. We never knew this person till we met up face to face one and half-year ago at a youth camp. In our exchange of conversation, we found out that she was the kind soul who was the source of my girls' toe shoes. In turn she was glad too to meet us for the first time. What happened was our mutual friend was the one who had helped to arrange this.

I was privileged to get to know this really nice lady and we talked about dance a lot over the short time together. Apparently she works in a dance school in another city and that's how the supply of used toe shoes came about. We never shun used stuff. Frugal living is good. So this time having known this new friend, I took up her continuous offer for used dance materials. I called her personally to check if there are any leotards available and furnished her with my girls' body measurements.

The weeks gone by and I had no reply from her. I thought perhaps this time I just have to fork out the money somehow to get them new leotards even though the season demanded many financial commitments. A surprise came just before Christmas. A cheque was addressed to our four children. This "angel" friend responded and told me to get the girls new leotards! Yes, my girls are very grateful and beamed with joy as they received their new leotards last week.

It is a promise of God that his children will not lack any good thing. Not just lack nothing. But lack no good thing. He is a good God and He gives good things. The Father never witholds good gifts from His children. He generously lavish upon us. He doesn't just give. He gives what is good. The psalm gives a contrasting picture of the lion, being the ferocious beast with a voracious appetite may still lack and be hungry while those who fear and seek after God will receive the best of his blessings.

We would gladly settle for used leotards but God blessed us with brand new ones. Luke 11:11-13 remind us that every father desires to bless their children, even those who are evil know how to give good gifts to their children. God is good and He gives good gifts. All fathers stand extremely pale in comparison to our Father. No one can compare to His generosity. Is there any desires in our hearts which are not fulfilled? Dare we come before God and ask confidently for His blessings? Whom do we fear and seek after in life? If we fear and seek after the True God, then believe He will bless us with the best. And I like what one of my dear friend said to me, "God has no favourites." However, I do believe He knows what's the best for each child and when is the best time to release that gift.

Heavenly Father, I love you and seek to do Your will and follow Your ways. Teach me to pursue You in deeper manner and long after You always. Thank You for loving me so much and recognize that You will not withold good things from me. I place before You____(your desires) and await for the unfolding of these gifts in Your beautiful time. In Jesus' name. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Selina, what precious gems of wisdom and encouragement to glean from your blog. Thanks for starting it and I know God will use your journey to lift up many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for dropping by to pick some gems...would love if you could sign off your name so I can respond appropriately:)

    ReplyDelete