Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Stop and Bless

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners,

(Isaiah 61:1, NIV)

We grabbed our groceries and rushed to the cashier with the shortest queue. It’s the usual peak hours at the store with consumers coming in after work to do their shopping. We just needed a few items to fix a quick dinner before the man of the house shoot off for an evening meeting in church.

At the payment counter while I was watching closely the cashier keying in the prices and shuffling my stuff away for packing, Chrisa tucked on me and whispered, “Mum, can we do the 2010 Blessing with her?” There was an old lady right after me at the line. We had exchanged smiles earlier. She was very old and I found out later she was 85. A strong and steady 85. A sweet lady with a neat presentation. I thought I would really like to be like her when I grow old.

In my hurried mode, I gave Chrisa a quick reply, “We’ll see…” but the little girl was persistent. She pestered me again. I threw the question back to her, “Would you want to do it?” She gave a quick nod and said, “Yes.” Her respond was quite a surprise to me. Our church had launched the 2010 Blessing during Easter. It is a 3 month community project to bless 2010 people from all walks of life with prayer. Being a young and small church of about 20 odd people, we prayed for this radical move to reach the city with God’s blessings and then watch God unfold his wondrous acts. No doubt just touching a small drop in the ocean yet we felt this intentional effort will compel us to reach out with God’s compassion and propel us into action…to move and bless friends and new contacts.

My gung-ho lass targeted her first receiver with such compassion and urgency. I couldn’t say “no” no matter how hurried I was. So I paid and waited for the old lady to finish with hers. We exchanged smiles again. Then I strike a brief conversation with her and gave Chrisa the opportunity to ask her for a chance to bless her with prayer. The old lady was delighted and agreed immediately. I stood beside my little girl as she prayed for the old lady right there along the corridor of the store.

She taught me to stop in the midst of inconvenience to say a prayer for someone. She doesn’t know the person waiting in line behind us, but she was filled with compassion which propelled her into a simple act of love. She was urgent about her mission.

Is there anyone in need of God’s touch today?
Are we too busy to notice anyone in need?
Or is it our fears which cripple us to move into action?
Pause…in the midst of our busyness and reach out with compassion.
Don’t wait for a convenient time. It may not come by.

Heavenly Father, as You bless me so abundantly, I seek to bless others too. Open my heart to contain Your love. Open my eyes to see beyond every pair of eyes I meet everyday. Let me see what you see. Let me love as you love. Let me move as you lead me. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Wow....I'm so moved!! God bless Chrisa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this! This is so beautiful! I have to share this with my youth pastor :)

    ReplyDelete