Monday, October 12, 2009

My Hiding Place, My Safe Refuge

For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.

(Psalm 27:5, NIV)

It didn’t feel as though I rested even though I purposely set aside time to nap one afternoon, just to catch up on some sleep. However, I had one of the coolest dreams. I settled down for my nap after pondering on one word, “rock” and singing just one phrase in my heart, “My Hiding Place, My Safe Refuge” over and over again…with a tune I can’t quite remember now. Interestingly, I dozed off and I saw myself getting ready to preach on this title based on Psalm 27. In the dream, there were a lot of disruptions which had given me some clues in pressing into prayers.

Certainly the Lord had heard my cries and reassured me through the dream. As soon as I woke up, I read through the psalm and found right there in verse 5 which clearly states that God will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock. What can be more comforting and assuring to know he has spoken so clearly!

I’ve been thinking deep on God being the Rock of my salvation. For a long time I see the rock as a concrete strong platform. One which is unmovable and unshakeable. In the book of Psalms, God is liken to the rock. The imagery is repeated in many verses in this poetry book. I sing of it. I talked about it. I claimed it. Then I discovered the rock as mentioned in the bible is referring to the cleft rock. It is not any rock that I had envisioned. Cleft rock is a hideout. It secures from different angles but has a crevice for one to flee in and stay away from danger. This safe shelter is a grandiose natural monument. There is something about rock that when I look at it speaks of incredible strength and durability. As I thought further on God being that sort of dwelling place for me, it opens up an invitation for me, “Come, come right in…” My dove in the clefts of the rock, in the hiding places on the mountainside, show me your face, let me hear your voice; for your voice is sweet, and your face is lovely. (Song of Songs 2:14, NIV)

Under his mighty protection and sweet presence I stand on sure footing too. Whatever the trouble that seeks to send me running away, God provided the shelter of his loving arms to receive me, and comfort me and broaden my path so that I can tread upon. When my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I. (Psalm 61:4, KJV)

We are beaten by the harsh weather of our fallen world which seeks to destroy us in different forms.
Whenever we are afraid, let us run to our Rock.
Let us echo the psalmist prayer when our hearts are overwhelmed.
Never forget the invitation to flee to the Cleft Rock. We will see his lovely face and hear his sweet voice. Oh what a lovely thought! What a promise!

O Mighty Rock, I run to You and seek Your safe refuge. In this secret hiding place, I rest and be restored. Show me Your face. Let me hear Your voice. Oh Lord, I come…In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment