Monday, October 26, 2009

Mum To The Rescue

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.

(Proverbs 3:5-6, NIV)

“Mum, please help me.” “MUM…PLEASE COME!”
This is a normal plea in my home. Hah, what will kids do without mum?

This time I found her attempting to do some copy work on art pieces. She was determined to get it right, and I mean RIGHT. She wanted mum to help salvage her almost “ruined” art piece.

Drawing and colouring ranked high in my list of childhood hobbies. Art was my favourite subject in school as I always felt it was a therapeutic session in the midst of textbooks and notes to memorize and apply. I always tell my children I love arts because I can never go wrong. Even if there is a mistake, the artist can always play around with the colours and strokes to cover the error and still produce a good piece. After all, it is art. The creative power lies in the hands and imagination of the artist. I absolutely didn’t have such liberty with other subjects, which I’ve to adhere to facts, formulas or grammar.

As much as I desired for her to try it all out by herself, her persistent pleas were too strong for me to shun her away. So I stepped in and asked what went wrong and how could I help. In her frustration, she told me to redraw the cartoon figure because her piece has been smeared by the pastels. It just didn’t look nice to her no matter how I tried to pacify her. Finally, I agreed to help but working in such a way that she could still own this piece. It’s always tough how much to help a child. As my hands began to move through the paper and putting the strokes in, she began ordering me – telling me how it should be. I gently assured her, “Trust me.”

Obviously she did not trust I will do a good job by the way she was still whining and telling me what to do. My patience was tested. I said again…this time firmly, “Please trust me.” She was too engrossed in her own thoughts and ways to hear my assurance. Her ramblings went on. Feeling annoyed, I turned to her and asked, “Do you trust me?”

I almost thought it was God asking me that question. The whole scenario just flipped. I was the little child pleading for help but many times didn’t trust the Father enough. While He is attending to me and my problem, I was too engrossed to see his act of deliverance. Instead of trusting in his wisdom and ways, I was still rambling away telling him what I think is best.

Have you ever been caught in this same predicament?
God promises his help when we call him in our distress (Jonah 2:2) and his coming and wise actions are certain. But how many times we still lean on our own understanding? When he says, “Trust me, child”, it means it is a done deal! We need to learn to sit back and watch him move and act. To God be the glory!

O Trustworthy God, forgive me for not trusting You. Instead of relying on my own rational thoughts and limited understanding, I want to trust Your wisdom and power to make my paths straight. I do not want to interfere with Your plans and attempting to be cleverer than You. Forbid it, Lord. I hear Your whispers of assurance and I am saved. Thank You. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment