Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Press In, Press On

Let us acknowledge the LORD;
let us press on to acknowledge him.
As surely as the sun rises, he will appear;
he will come to us like the winter rains,
like the spring rains that water the earth.

(Hosea 6:3, NIV)


The feeling is like I just woke up from a nightmare with some phantom pain. The whole more than two months suffering from back pain has been horrifying. Every morning I woke up hoping it was just a nightmare and it is all over. The pain took many forms – from excruatiating to dull ache, prickly sensation to pressing heavy-like pain which traveled to every part of my body. It was not merely confined to the back – the limbs, head, ears, mouth were not spared. The back which holds the body up when injured affects the entire body and mind. It was tough weeks bearing the great burden on my back. My busy lifestyle came to a standstill (which in many ways is good but almost totally unbearable). My days were reduced to bed rest and physiotherapy. Even when the pain has been significantly reduced, my whole body system was somewhat gone cranky.

Some people with good intention advised me to seek other help – relaxation therapy such as yoga and acupuncture to “reset” my system. Someone said, “You need help. A guided program, you can’t do this yourself.” I knew deep in my heart I can’t do it myself. I definitely need help but surely not any sources which were mentioned. I need divine help. I need my Father.
Just before one of my physiotherapy session, I heard the Lord’s reminder to press in…into His loving presence and keep acknowledging his Lordship and rule. Needless to say, it demanded so much mental energy to stay focus and proclaim God’s power of life and healing in trying times. But there was an urging, “let us” repeated twice in this single verse to acknowledge God – to recognize who He is and understand His nature, and believe the certainty of His presence liken to the sun. My eyes turned towards the glass door of the waiting room as I meditated on His Word and I caught sight of the heavy downpour of rain as I continued to read on the remaining portion of the verse. My heart thumped with excitement as the Lord’s presence rained down at the very spot I was sitting as I bathed myself in His refreshing promise – “ he will come to us like the winter rains, like the spring rains that water the earth.”

All of us feels like giving up one point or another. How many times we gave up too soon? If only we press in a little more, hang in there a little longer…but we screamed, “I’ve no more strength”. It is then we must realize we have our limitations. Scream if you must, “I’ve no more strength…” but call for His mercy and acknowledge He is Lord.
Confess His remarkable power.
Catch His rising presence.
Contain His refreshing promise of blessing.

Precious Gems, will you persevere and press in…and press on no matter what your circumstance is…and your confidence will be richly rewarded (Hebrews 10:35).

Almighty God, Our Deliverer, give us endless supply of energy to press in and press on…till we see You face to face and feast in Your amazing grace. There we will surely find rest and restoration. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment