Sunday, March 8, 2009

Perspective from Above

As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:9, NIV)


Art is one area I feel free to express myself and I think every child needs to have that avenue to express, explore and experiment to connect with herself and the world around her irrespective of the outcome of her masterpiece. Last week, Chrisa created a very colourful picture with pastels for her sister, Nat, who was sick. She diligently filled the art block with a multi-coloured striped vase and green stalks branching out from it. It was supposed to be filled with roses. Despite my early childhood education training which urges educators not to interfere with a young child’s creation, I fell into the temptation of giving my opinion of how to draw a rose. She passed me a piece of paper and I made a quick sketch of the flower from a typical side view. I presented it to her with a smile and a certain pride of a mum. I exclaimed, “See dear, it is so easy to draw a rose.” She grabbed the paper and red pastel from me and responded beyond my expectation. “Mum, that’s not how you draw a rose! This is how a rose looks like.” She drew a spiral line illustrating the flower from the top view. Indeed it appeared superb. I was speechless for a moment. God had to use a five-year old to remind me to look from a different perspective. In this case, to look from above! This is very true in life’s application.

Joy was robbed off me in the past weeks as many distractions cluttered along the way which set me off focus no matter how hard I attempted to stay on course. One major stressor was caring for ill children. Two of them had to be subjected to two courses of antibiotic before the fever could subside. It was round the clock toil of dispensing medicine (which included coaxing the older ones into this dreaded affair and struggling with the baby to keep the medicine in) and soothing their distress and pain. Oh, needless to say – the package included sleep deprivation. My mind was tired, body weak and emotion drained. I hung on to God’s promises of deliverance and my hope anchored upon the Cross. Yet I could not deny I had doubts fighting their way into my spirit as I shielded myself with all his promises. The battle raged in the mind. Certain things just didn’t quite make sense and it was difficult to see how God works. When Chrisa showed me her illustration of her rose and her respond in her firm words, I was nudged in my spirit. God’s ways are just way above mine. His wise thoughts are far beyond my comprehension. I just have to keep believing and trust the One who sits upon the Throne of Heaven because He sees from above.

What’s your perspective in life? In your situation right now?
Where are you looking from?
Facing roadblocks? Seeing nothing? But God knows what’s beyond the roadblocks. He sees everything.

O Mighty God, when days get tough and there seems to be roadblocks, help me to trust that You know what You are doing simply because You see from above. My perspective is limited and I get restless in the journey of faith. Grant me a glimpse of Your perspective and cause my heart to be still and know You are God. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad the children are all right again, Selina *hugs* Take care dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are well now. Was exhausting affair!Thanks for praying.

    ReplyDelete