Monday, March 30, 2009

For A Higher Purpose

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

(Romans 8:28, NIV)

The rain was pouring again. I stood facing the wall of my children’s room watching the rainwater dripped down. Lines and lines forming several trails leaked into the rim of the parquet flooring. As I stepped on it to check further, the water seeped out to form puddles. I am not sure if I have the right to be angry at my new neighbour. I haven’t met them to begin with…but the massive renovation, which began some months ago, has caused a lot of disruptions and inconveniences to the neighbourhood; and especially to us, his next door neighbours. Cement dust, noise pollution and mosquitoes’ breeding ground amongst many others. This week there were flying cement blocks when they hacked down the non-permitted pillars (as the City Council issued a summon and order to stop work) which horrified us. The work is extensive and the plan is not approved as anyone would have guessed.

I was excited when we knew a new family was moving in as that house had always been occupied with new tenants made up of working adults every few months. We never got a chance to make friends. Or should I say we never really had a neighbour. We bear with all the inconveniences when the renovations work begun. The place was tremendously dusty with the toxic cement dust pollution. The children couldn’t recover from their sinus problem. Baby Ashton had prolonged chest infection and was subjected to a lot of medical treatment. I had to consciously turn my sighing to singing, and reminded myself to love my neighbour.

Last night I looked at the trails of water helplessly as the rain poured. Edward is away for more than a week, which means I had to attend to all these arising problems. I whispered, “God, help me” as I attempted to soak up the oozing water from the flooring with some old towels as more water continued to leaked in. This pathetic state happens whenever it rains ever since the neighbour’s roof was torn down and their wall been hacked. The authority had come to inspect the damage and is looking into the matter. However, at this point we still have to bear with the mess. My children had been camping in our room.

After the unsuccessful soaking of the water with the towels, I taped strips of aluminum foil to the wall to form troughs to drain the water into buckets. The words of Paul in Romans 8:28, “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose” ran repeatedly in my mind as I squatted to finish up the task. It was a moment of helplessness turned into hope in Christ. Any bleak situation surrendered to God will be taken care of despite wordless prayers. Every groan and sigh of helplessness when given to God could well work out for good. A blessing in disguise. Many past experiences proved that this verse is a reality. Although I cannot understand what good can come out from my current situation but I know hope in God doesn’t lead to disappointment (Romans 5:5).

Are you facing discouragement, disappointment, disaster, delay of some sort, or in a dilemma of some kind?
Does your situation look unpromising? Don’t lose hope. Don’t lose your grip on Jesus. Don’t even react negatively, because if you love him, something good is in store – for everything works out for a higher purpose.

Gracious God, grant me Your spirit when I am tired in the waiting and too weak to face the challenges in my life. Give me the right spirit to deal in my situation. I trust Your deliverance and wisdom in turning every detail of my life for Your purposes. In Jesus’name. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. How is the wall now, Selina? Are the renovation works ur neighbour is doing finished yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. Going to be a long tedious process:( But trusting God.

    ReplyDelete